Stamp River Winter Steelhead Fishing Report
Dec 20 2016
Fresh winter run Steelhead starting to show in lower river
||Bulk up in some warm cloths and head to the Stamp River system incredible river conditions for Winter Steelhead. Fortunately we have portable heaters in the boats!
The guides have been fishing both the upper and the lower rivers now. The upper river has predominately Fall run Steelhead in it. The Lower Stamp and Somass rivers have fresh winter runs starting to show. Not in big numbers but definitely worth the day even if you get into a couple.
There is a bait ban in the upper river, artificials and lures are in use. The fall Steelhead are known to eat salmon eggs, so beads work great. In the lower river bait can be used so small pieces tied into an egg loop sitting on top of a jensen egg or other small egg imitation with a little wool is the best ticket.
*see links to full set of legal regulations which apply.
Stamp River Area Winter Regulations - generally:
Provincial Regulations + Region 1 Vancouver Island Specific Regulations
- Single Barbless Hooks
- Bait ban in middle and upper Stamp River above Girl Guide Falls (The bucket) 250 M above Beaver Creek
- Bait ban in the Ash River
- Bait can be used below the Girl Guide Falls on the Stamp River, The Somass and Sproat Rivers
- No fishing in the Upper Stamp River from the confluence of the Ash River upstream to the Great Central Lake Dam from Jan 1 to April 30.
- All Wild Steelhead and Wild Trout must be immediately released unharmed.
- Your basic licence must be validated with a Steelhead Conservation Surcharge Stamp while fishing. Hatchery fish must be immediately recorded on the licence in ink upon landing.
- The daily limit of Hatchery Steelhead & Trout (combined) is two. If you retain two hatchery steelhead from any water you must stop fishing for the remainder of the day.
Weekly Weather Outlook
Our services are now on the "Winter Program" which mean day charters are available with our without accommodations. We do provide accommodations for those who require them with a full breakfast and boxed lunches. For accommodations we use the West Coast River Lodge located at the confluence of the Stamp and Sproat Rivers.
Winter Steelhead are a distinct run of Steelhead that arrive to their home rivers during the months of December, January, February, March and leave during April.
Available Dates:There are boats available in both the upper and the lower. Give us a call. We are not fishing Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years day.
Winter Steelhead - Guided Day TripsFully guided day trips for two persons by jet boat includes all of the equipment. Trip Details »
David and Marilyn Murphy (brother and sister team)
Call anytime for the latest conditions and reports
Professional Contributor to:
Fishtactics ~ Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum ~ Fishing with Rod ~ BC Outdoors Magazine