Stamp River Winter Steelhead Fishing ReportJan 22 2017
|Last weeks push of warmer weather and precipitation put the river back into ideal conditions for Winter Steelhead. The weather outlook is supportive of these conditions being maintained through out the next week. We also anticipate some fresh fish to move in with the big freshet of water that went out last week.
Trips are in both the upper Stamp and lower Stamp/Somass system. Usually getting into a couple of fish per day. Some days better than others. Fishing artificials and spoons in the upper and also bait in the lower.
*see links to full set of legal regulations which apply.
Provincial Regulations + Region 1 Vancouver Island Specific Regulations
- Single Barbless Hooks
- Bait ban in middle and upper Stamp River above Girl Guide Falls (The bucket) 250 M above Beaver Creek
- Bait ban in the Ash River
- Bait can be used below the Girl Guide Falls on the Stamp River, The Somass and Sproat Rivers
- No fishing in the Upper Stamp River from the confluence of the Ash River upstream to the Great Central Lake Dam from Jan 1 to April 30.
- All Wild Steelhead and Wild Trout must be immediately released unharmed.
- Your basic licence must be validated with a Steelhead Conservation Surcharge Stamp while fishing. Hatchery fish must be immediately recorded on the licence in ink upon landing.
- The daily limit of Hatchery Steelhead & Trout (combined) is two. If you retain two hatchery steelhead from any water you must stop fishing for the remainder of the day.
Our services are now on the "Winter Program" which mean day charters are available with our without accommodations. We do provide accommodations for those who require them with a full breakfast and boxed lunches. For accommodations we use the West Coast River Lodge located at the confluence of the Stamp and Sproat Rivers.
Winter Steelhead are a distinct run of Steelhead that arrive to their home rivers during the months of December, January, February, March and leave during April.
Winter Steelhead Fish - Lodge - BreakfastGuided fishing with accommodation on the night before our trip at the West Coast River Lodge. Full Breakfast before fishing included. Trip Details »
Winter Steelhead - Guided Day TripsFully guided day trips for two persons by jet or drift boat includes all of the equipment. Accommodations with full breakfast and lunches optional. Trip Details »
David and Marilyn Murphy (brother and sister team)
Call anytime for the latest conditions and reports
Professional Contributor to:
Fishtactics ~ Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum ~ Fishing with Rod ~ BC Outdoors Magazine