Stamp River Winter Steelhead Fishing Report
Jan 26 2017
|This week conditions remain excellent for Winter Steelhead fishing. The rains last week gave us a nice bump in levels and helped reduce river clarity from gin clear.
Boats are fishing both the upper and lower Stamp System and varying successes day to day in each section. There are Winter fish through out the system now and some fall fish in the system too. All of these fish spawn in the spring.
Most boats are getting into a couple of fish per day. Angela landed her first Steelhead ever and worked hard for it. Congratulations!
Fishing with spoons and jigs in the upper river and bait or artificial bait in the lower river.
Catches overall have been less this year than last year due to some hatchery issues in 2015. Regardless the experience of getting into one or two of these legendary fish is incredible.
The weather outlook for the next week looks very favourable with mostly overcast skies some precipitation and normal winter temperatures.
Call anytime for the latest conditions.
*see links to full set of legal regulations which apply.
Provincial Regulations + Region 1 Vancouver Island Specific Regulations
- Single Barbless Hooks
- Bait ban in middle and upper Stamp River above Girl Guide Falls (The bucket) 250 M above Beaver Creek
- Bait ban in the Ash River
- Bait can be used below the Girl Guide Falls on the Stamp River, The Somass and Sproat Rivers
- No fishing in the Upper Stamp River from the confluence of the Ash River upstream to the Great Central Lake Dam from Jan 1 to April 30.
- All Wild Steelhead and Wild Trout must be immediately released unharmed.
- Your basic licence must be validated with a Steelhead Conservation Surcharge Stamp while fishing. Hatchery fish must be immediately recorded on the licence in ink upon landing.
- The daily limit of Hatchery Steelhead & Trout (combined) is two. If you retain two hatchery steelhead from any water you must stop fishing for the remainder of the day.
Our services are now on the "Winter Program" which mean day charters are available with our without accommodations. We do provide accommodations for those who require them with a full breakfast and boxed lunches. For accommodations we use the West Coast River Lodge located at the confluence of the Stamp and Sproat Rivers.
Winter Steelhead are a distinct run of Steelhead that arrive to their home rivers during the months of December, January, February, March and leave during April.
Winter Steelhead - Guided Day TripsFully guided day trips for two persons by jet boat includes all of the equipment. Trip Details »
David and Marilyn Murphy (brother and sister team)
Call anytime for the latest conditions and reports
Professional Contributor to:
Fishtactics ~ Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum ~ Fishing with Rod ~ BC Outdoors Magazine